Since I'm slagging off directors, here's another one: Robert Rodriguez.


I used to be a big fan of his - El Mariachi was one reason I became a film-maker in the first place, but lately...


The trouble started when he had his 3 kids (named Rocket, Rebel & Razor, by the way...) and decided to make the Spy Kids films.

The first one was alright, but the second one was so tedious I couldn't finish it, and I expect the third one to be the same.

Okay, they're family films and not really aimed at me, so I'll let that pass. However, when he came to complete his other trilogy with Once Upon A time In Mexico, this two was seriously below par.

The problem is he tries to do too much - on Mexico he took at least TEN prominent credits, making him a virtual one-man film crew. This was fine on El Mariachi, but not on big-budget Hollywood films.

Directing takes concentration - if you're doing several other jobs on set when you're supposed to be executing your vision, the end results are going to suffer.

And lately, his have.